Monday, January 5, 2015

I don't know if the Dallas Cowboys can defeat the Green Bay Packers next week but I must give Tony Romo a pat on the back.  I've said before that the Cowboys wouldn't go far with their ex-coach and Romo at quarterback.  I think Tony has matured and is much better than I thought originally.  He led them on a late fourth quarter drive to score a touchdown and defeat the Detroit Lions.

There was a call late in the game that changed the game.  With a third and 2 the Lions threw a pass and there was a pass interference called on the Cowboy defender.  It was then overturned and Dallas held when Detroit went for it on fourth down.  The Cowboys then went on their scoring drive.  I thought the call was a bad one from the beginning.  There is no face guarding penalty in the pros.  After viewing the replay I felt that if a penalty was called it should have been on the receiver.  It looked to me like he grabbed hold of the defenders' face mask.  

The officials let so much go on between the receivers and defenders that it's hard to tell who is interfering with whom.  It's like basketball nowadays, fouling is going on all the time and sometimes it's called and sometimes not.  Back in my day it was a penalty if you touched a receiver before the ball got there or a foul if you touched an opposing player in basketball.  The players have made it so tough to officiate both sports.  All in all the officials do a good job.

I picked Toledo yesterday and they won so I'm 21-17 in my bowl picks and I'm taking Oregon in the Championship game.

No comments: